12-Day Grapefruit Diet: Is It What I have Been Looking for?
The 12-day grapefruit diet is not a new concept. The original plan was developed in the 1930’s. This fruit appears to be a dieter’s dream. It has no fat, is high in fiber and low in calories. It also carries benefits for your skin as it is high in vitamin C.
So how does this grapefruit diet work?
It’s very simple. You eat half a grapefruit before every meal. The enzyme it contains reduces your appetite so you consume fewer calories. It also speeds up the fat burning process helping you to shed pounds. Everyone knows that if you use more energy than you take in from the food you eat, you will lose weight. Some studies suggest that you could lose up to 10 pounds in less than 2 weeks simply by introducing this change.
Personally, I believe you would have a better chance of success if you also cut your portion sizes, ate 4 or 5 smaller meals rather than 3 large ones and increase your exercise.
It is completely pointless thinking that one simple change in your lifestyle is going to result in a big weight loss. You need to review all areas of your life.
Do you eat food because you are bored? Upset? Do you get enough exercise?
Most Americans are not active enough. You don’t suddenly need to become a gym fanatic, but a little extra activity every day will help. I am sure you can think of a million ways to add some movement to your sedentary lifestyle. You could take the stairs instead of the lift; get off the metro one stop early, walk to the store etc.
In the same way, you can make progress by implementing simple changes at mealtimes.
- Eat more fruit and vegetables. This is partially why the 12-day grapefruit diet works. Fruits and vegetables are high in fiber, low in calories and very filling. Your skin will glow from all the extra vitamins and minerals you are consuming.
- Instead of frying your food which only adds extra calories, try grilling, baking or steaming.
- Learn how to cook rather than relying on prepackaged meals that add dollars to your bills as well as pounds to your waistline.
- Use herbs and spices to flavor your meals rather than salt to help prevent fluid retention.
- Eat protein but chose the leaner cuts of meat and forget about sausages and other processed foods for now.
- Rather than excluding all treats, go for quality over quantity.
- Stop eating when you are full and not when your plate is empty.
- Don’t mistake being thirsty for feeling hungry. And stop ingesting hidden calories via flavored waters, fizzy pop and perhaps the biggest culprit of all, alcohol.
You can shrink your waistline by using the 12-day grapefruit diet, but only if you combine it with a healthy eating and exercise program.